The BUET-Japan Institute of Disaster Prevention and Urban Safety (BUET-JIDPUS) is a newly established institution of Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology (BUET). The university syndicate gave formal approval to this institute on July 1, 2011. BUET-JIDPUS was established to fulfill the urgent need for active research and education support in the field of disaster prevention and urban safety in Bangladesh.
Bangladesh is one of the most disaster-prone countries in the world which is vulnerable to various natural and manmade hazards including earthquake, cyclone, flood, fire, flash flood etc. Furthermore existing and rapidly growing densely populated urban areas of the country are not facilitated with adequate safety measures. Vulnerability assessment of civil infrastructure and safety measures is a prime concern of the country. It is vitally important to conduct research and provide necessary learning to mitigate risk, increase preparedness and support a countrywide disaster management program through innovation and effective resource utilization.
- To strengthen the capacity of professionals in Bangladesh in the field of
- Disaster risk reduction with particular emphasis on seismic and urban hazards
- Infrastructure management and structural health monitoring
- Urban safety
through relevant laboratories (e.g., geotechnical and geophysical testing laboratory, earthquake engineering laboratory, non-destructive testing laboratory, computational laboratory), research infrastructure, library and computational facilities.
- To strengthen other local agencies on the above mentioned field through training
- To promote disaster reduction by disseminating information and knowledge to the public on hazards and safety measures through electronic and print media.
- To promote collaboration with other national and international universities and research organizations.
- To provide research, testing and consultancy... More