Structural Engineering in Disaster Prevention
Professor Dr. A.F.M. Saiful Amin, an educator and expert in the field of engineering, is also a leading proponent and promoter of engineering education and sustainable infrastructure in Bangladesh. As an experienced civil engineer and leader in groundbreaking engineering research, particularly for Bangladesh, he has been teaching and researching as well as designing, constructing, repairing, and maintaining installations for over 25 years.
Dr. Amin also plays a vital role in improving the quality of education in engineering as Vice Chairman and the Acting Chairman of the Board of Accreditation for Engineering and Technical Education of the Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh, a provisional signatory of the Washington Accord.
Dr. Amin is at present the director of BUET's Institute for Disaster Prevention and Urban Safety, focused on research on disaster management and disaster risk reduction and creating a more skilled workforce for the country. He currently leads the country's largest research project on earthquake-related disaster management and natural disaster-related risk reduction. Run with the help of Japan, its results will play a major role in making national policy in a host of relevant fields.
From 1998 to 2007, Dr. Amin conducted fundamental research on using high-damping rubber bearings to protect bridges from earthquakes in Japan, Bangladesh, and Germany. This internationally tested and successful technology has been directly applied in the construction of the second Kanchpur-Meghna-Gomti bridges recently constructed on the Dhaka-Chittagong highway, for the first time in Bangladesh.
On behalf of BUET, Dr. Amin also serves as the team leader in the Padma Multipurpose Bridge Rail Link Project, one of the mega projects of the Government of Bangladesh, and he is also serving as an expert in designing, constructing, repairing, and maintaining important buildings and infrastructure as well as Bangabandhu Bridge, Repair and Rehabilitation of Health monitoring of bridges, Kanchpur-Meghna-Gumti bridges, Dhaka Elevated Expressway, Payra Bridge, Bangladesh Textile University, and various large and small bridges.
• ICE Ambassador from South Asia in bicentenary celebration of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE), United Kingdom 2018.
• FY2016 JSCE International Outstanding Collaboration Award for continuous efforts and remarkable contribution to the development of infrastructures in Bangladesh.
• Fellow on Presidential Invitation, Institution of Civil Engineers, United Kingdom.
• Research Fellow, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, since 2007.
• Visiting Professor, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering, University of Federal Armed Forces Munich, Germany, during February 2007-August 2007.
• Visiting Professor in the Institute of Mechanics, University of Kassel, Germany, during Aug -Nov 2004.
• Recipient of Ministry of Education, Science and Culture of the Government of Japan (Monbusho) scholarship for undertaking doctoral research in the Saitama University, Japan.
• Recipient of Malik Akram Hossain Gold Medal 1996 for securing first position in BSc. Engg. (Civil).
• Received University Merit Scholarships during the academic sessions 1989-90, 1990-91 and 1991-92 for outstanding academic results.
• Design Review Consultant for Construction of 162 km Railway between Dhaka & Jashore crossing the Padma Bridge for Bangladesh Railway from BUET as associate consultant with Bangladesh Army.
• National Expert for construction of First Dhaka Elevated Expressway for Bangladesh Bridge Authority.
• Expert services for Rating of Bangabandhu Bridge (4.8 km long) for Bangladesh Bridge Authority.
• Checking the structural design of 100m and above steel truss bridges over the Surma and Madhumati rivers Roads & Highways and over the Lohalia River for LGED
• Consultancy services for the construction of 20-storied academic & administrative building for BUTEX.
• Checking the Structural Safety of Bangladesh Bridge Authority Headquarter Building,
• Checking structural safety of a building of ICDDRB, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
• Consultant of Bangladesh Bridge Authority for Identification of Cracks in Bangabandhu Bridge in 2006,
• Advisor to the Bangladesh Bridge Authority for Repair & strengthening of in the 4.8 km long Bangabandhu Jamuna Bridge during 2012-2015, the longest bridge of Bangladesh.
• Team Leader for Structural Health Monitoring of 4.8 km long Bangabandhu Jamuna Bridge during 2014-2015, the longest bridge of Bangladesh.
• Team Leader for Repair and Rehabilitation of Meghna and Meghna-Gumti Bridges, Roads and Highways Department, Bangladesh in 2012, the two important bridges of Bangladesh to maintain connectivity between Dhaka, the Capital and Chittagong, the major port City.
• Identification of problems and solutions for Khodarhat Bridge, Roads & Highways, Bangladesh & Mahananda and Meghna Bridges of Local Government Engineering Department in 2012-2013.
• Strengthening of Gausia Market, many other market places and commercial facilities in introduction of fibre reinforced polymer and micro-concrete jacketing technique during 2006-2015.
• National Expert Committee to Investigate the Collapse of Bohoddarhat Flyover during Construction.
• Investigation of Spectrum Sweater Factory Building Collapse in 2005.
• Team Leader for Technical Services in Construction of 60-90m Telecommunication Towers for Police as its Dhaka-Chittagong Microwave Backbone & Dhaka City CCTV Surveillance network in 2009.
• Team Leader for Structural Safety Assessment of over 100 commercial and industrial buildings aftermath of Rana Plaza Collapse 2013 and Nepal Earthquake 2015.
• Advisor, Updating of Bangladesh National Building Code 2015.
1. Amin, A. F. M. S. (2021). Structure to Bridge Creation Hubs During the Pandemic, Editorial, Structural Engineering International, 31(1), 5. DOI: 10.1080/10168664.2021.1863652.
2. Choudhury, M. S. I., Matsumoto, Y., & Amin, A. F. M. S. (2018). Scour depth estimation in a balanced cantilever bridge with deteriorated central hinges based on natural frequencies: Field measurements, methodology for estimation and verification. Journal of Civil Structural Health Monitoring, 8(4), 617–634. DOI: 10.1007/s13349-018-0300-9
3. Amin, A. F. M. S., Hasnat, A., Khan, A. H., & Ashiquzzaman, M. (2016). Residual cementing property in recycled fines and coarse aggregates: Occurrence and quantification. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 28(4). DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0001472
4. Choudhury, M. S. I., Amin, A. F. M. S., Islam, M. M., & Hasnat, A. (2016). Effect of confining pressure distribution on the dilation behavior in FRP-confined plain concrete columns using stone, brick and recycled aggregates. Construction and Building Materials, 102, 541–551. DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2015.11.003
5. Hasnat, A., Islam, M. M., & Amin, A. F. M. S. (2016). Enhancing the debonding strain limit for CFRP-strengthened RC beams using U-clamps: Identification of design parameters. Journal of Composites for Construction, 20(1), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000599
6. Islam, M. M., Choudhury, M. S. I., & Amin, A. F. M. S. (2016). Dilation effects in FRP-confined square concrete columns using stone, brick, and recycled coarse aggregates. Journal of Composites for Construction, 20(1), DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0000574
7. Hossain, M., Amin, A.F.M.S., & Kabir, M.N. (2015). Eight-chain and full-network models and their modified versions for rubber hyperelasticity: a comparative study. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Materials, 24(1-2), 11-24.
8. Nguyen, D.A., Dang, J., Okui, Y., Amin, A.F.M.S., Okada, S., & Imai, T. (2015). An improved rheology model for the description of the rate-dependent cyclic behavior of high damping rubber bearings. Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 77, 416-431.
9. Amin, A. F. M. S., Bhuiyan, A. R., Hossain, T., & Okui, Y. (2014). Nonlinear Viscosity Law in Finite-Element Analysis of High Damping Rubber Bearings and Expansion Joints. Journal of Engineering Mechanics.
10. Razzaq, M. K., Okui, Y., Bhuiyan, A. R., Amin, A.F.M.S., Mitamura, H., & Imai, T., (2012). Application of Rheology Modeling to Natural Rubber and Lead Rubber Bearings: A Simplified Model and Low Temperature Behavior. Structural Engineering/Earthquake Engineering, JSCE, 29(2), 40-55.
11. Hossain, M. F., Molla, M. A. I., Masum, S. M., Rana, A. A., Amin, A.F.M.S., Chowdhury, R.S., Sultana, S., & Karim, M.M., (2012). Chemical and Sedimentological Characterization of Moulvibazar Silica Deposit of Bangladesh as Standard Sand, IJBAS-IJENS Vol:12 No:06, 170-176.
12. Amin, A.F.M.S., Haque, M.M., Siddiqi, M.Z.R., Rahman, M.A., Islam, M.S., & Alam, M.K., (2012). Use of selected silica deposits of Bangladesh as standard sand in testing compressive strength of hydraulic cement mortars: A proposal for strength correlation, Journal of Civil Engineering, IEB, Journal of Civil Engineering (IEB), 40 (2), 181-202.
13. Amin, A.F.M.S., Lion, A., Höfer, P., (2010). Effect of Temperature History on the Mechanical Behavior of a Filler-Reinforced NR/BR Blend: Literature Review and Critical Experiments, Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics / Zeitschrift für Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik, 90(5), 347-369.
14. Amin, A.F.M.S., Lion, A., Sekita, S., Okui, Y., (2006a). Nonlinear dependence of viscosity in modeling the rate-dependent response of natural and high damping rubbers in compression and shear: Experimental identification and numerical verification, Int. J. Plast., 22(9), 1610-1657.
15. Amin, A.F.M.S., Wiraguna, S.I., Bhuiyan, A.R., Okui, Y. (2006b). Hyperelasticity model for FE analysis of natural and high damping rubbers in compression and shear, J. Engrg. Mech., ASCE, 132(1), 54-64.
16. Amin, A.F.M.S., Alam, M.S., Okui, Y. (2003). Measurement of lateral deformation of natural and high damping rubbers in large deformation uniaxial tests, J. Testing Eval., ASTM, 31(6), 524-532.
17. Amin, A.F.M.S., Alam, M.S. and Okui, Y. (2002). An improved hyperelasticity relation in modeling viscoelasticity response of natural and high damping rubbers in compression: experiments, parameter identification and numerical verification, Mechanics of Materials, 34, 75-95.
18. Amin, A.F.M.S., Alam, M.S. and Okui, Y. (2001). Nonlinear Viscoelastic Response of Elastomers: Experiments, Parameter Identification and Numerical Simulation, Journal of Structural Engineering, JSCE, 47A, pp. 181-192.
19. Ahmad, S. and Amin, A.F.M.S., (1998). Effect of Curing Conditions on Compressive Strength of Brick Aggregate Concrete, Journal of Civil Engineering, Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh, Vol. CE26, No.1, pp. 37-49.